Long summer days filled with school vacation, grilling out, and a generally relaxed approach to life, can make it easy to neglect your home’s maintenance. Make sure your home stays in great shape by following these easy home maintenance tips.
Inside the Home
- Remember to regularly change the filter in your air conditioner. Depending on the filter you purchase, you can change the filter monthly or up to every three months or buy a reusable filter that just needs regular cleaning.
- Clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct. Without regular maintenance, clogged lint and dust in your dryer vents extend your drying time causing higher electric bills and could even cause a house fire.
- Check your attic for any signs of dampness, mildew, leaks, holes in the roof, and pests.
- Wipe down baseboards.
- Vacuum the refrigerator vents and coils. Keeping the vents and coils clean will help your refrigerator not have to work so hard to keep your food cold.
Outside the Home
- Repair and repaint any chipped, cracked, or faded exterior paint. In addition to improving your home’s curb appeal, it will also help protect it from the elements, preventing more expensive repairs down the road.
- Have your air conditioner checked and serviced. Regular A/C maintenance can extend the life of your unit and may reduce the need for costly A/C repairs.
- Inspect for leaks by checking your outdoor faucets and hoses. You can waste a lot of water if there’s even a small hole in your hose.
- Trim trees and bushes. Pay special attention to the area around the AC unit. Hire a professional for large trees or trees hanging over any buildings.
- Inspect your roof for damage from storms. If you aren’t comfortable physically getting on your roof, grab a pair of binoculars and inspect your roof from the ground. Look for broken, missing, and lifting shingles. If you find anything suspicious, reach out to a roofing professional.